ouish

Monday, March 15, 2004

Howard Dean and overactive glands

This week is starting off well. This morning, my son kept yelling out while eating his french toast sticks. It sounded like Howard Dean. So, after having breakfast with my husband and our special guest, Howard Dean, I made my way into work. My supervisor isn’t in today. I don’t know why, I guess she isn’t feeling well. We just got the word that she wouldn’t be in today.

Hey! We were all healthy this weekend! Well, all the humans were healthy. See, we boarded our dog and cat at the vet for a few days while we attended a funeral. During the stay, the vet ran some blood tests on our dog because he is so old (he’s 12) and he has a lot of allergy/skin problems. The tests came back and they have reason to believe that he has Cushing’s disease. Basically, he has an overactive gland that is triggered by the pituitary gland and that is why he has a lot of skin problems and ear infections (in fact, he has one right now). They want to do some more blood work to make sure, but the vet feels pretty confident about it. Treatment would be that he would have to take medication to control the overactive glands.

Now, if you know me pretty well, this story sounds familiar, right? If you don’t know me that well, here’s why the story sounds familiar. I also had an overactive pituitary gland. As a matter of fact, I had a pituitary adenoma that was bigger than 1 centimeter. Let me tell you, it caused all kinds of problems. Just think how you would feel if you heard the doctor say that you had a tumor over 1 cm. in your brain – but everything would be okay. I didn’t handle it very well. (serious props go out to my husband for getting me through everything) I had to (and still have to) take medication to shrink the tumor (adenoma) down to almost invisible – and I have the MRI’s to prove it! Oh, the miracle of modern medicine. So, it seems incredible that my dog now has something similar. I've heard of pets and people looking alike, but this in ridiculous! Needless to say, it was a little upsetting to hear about my dog, but I know that it will be okay. I KNOW IT – I LIVE IT!

And the cat... there is never anything wrong with that cat. She needs her teeth cleaned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home