ouish

Friday, June 04, 2004

It's a bird. It's a skank...it's Supermom!

Okay, last night my in-laws decided that they wanted all of us to go to dinner at Cracker Barrel. They have some kind of love affair with Cracker Barrel. Anyway, I leave work, rush to daycare to pick up my son, rush home to change a diaper, grab a sippy cup and let the dog out, then back in the car to go to dinner. We had to meet at 6:00. I think I was home for a total of three minutes – most of that was eaten up by the diaper change.

So, I don’t mind Cracker Barrel. Actually, my son is a big vegetable eater and so he will throw down on some green beans and mashed potatoes at the Barrel. I was very happy last night because his green beans and potatoes did not wind up on me. He ate and ate and ate – which meant he slept and slept and slept last night. Woo Hoo!

Anytime we go out to eat it’s a team effort. I usually get the first shift while my husband eats. My food usually gets cold (unless it was cold to begin with - like salad) while I make sure that my son eats and doesn’t disturb anyone else at the table or the restaurant. When my husband is done, he takes over and it usually works out well. Cold food doesn’t bother me. If you ever ate my mother’s cooking, you would understand.

My brother-in-law’s wife (Squat or Skank. Whichever you prefer – I really don’t like her) has a different way of eating out with her child. She positions her child next to Grammy. Grammy spends most of her meal dealing with the child while Squat/Skank eats her meal and chats it up with anyone and everyone. I’m talking “turn your back and ignore the fact that your child is putting her bare feet all over the table and grabbing at Grammy’s food while throwing her own.” And that is what happened last night. But, Grammy is quick to give me tips on things that Squat/Skank did with her child. Yes, I need that advice because I have done such a horrible job with my well-behaved, well-adjusted son. Tonight I will teach him how to scream and kick off his shoes so he can stick his feet in people’s food. I think he is ready.

So, if you are trying to be Supermom, make sure that someone like Grammy is there to actually watch and attempt to discipline your child. Then, ignore your child and when they act up as a result of you not paying attention to them – ignore them some more or tell your husband to take care of it

All this time I have been paying attention to my son. What was I thinking?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home